Wipers are the most basic configuration of a car. Especially in complicated weather such as rainy and snowy, this ordinary rubber element will play a role in securing driving safety. However, if you turn on the wiper and find the window is not as clear as before. The reason may be improper daily maintenance.
Most car owners generally neglect daily maintenance and inspection of inconspicuous configurations such as wipers. The mucus secreted from the trees in hot days, and the dust on the road and the dead insects while driving will be adsorbed on the windshield. Because of secretions, it is difficult to rinse off through glass water. Over a long period of time, the gloss of glass will decrease, and it will also corrode rubber components such as wipers. You may not ignore the dirt that is easily distinguished by the naked eye for it is related to driving safety. However, the small tar particles adsorbed on the glass surface, the burning of the sun, and the extremely low temperature in winter will cause the wiper rubber to age and crack.
If you wish your wipers to work with a long life span. Here are a few tips:
1. Clean up the leaves and debris remaining on the windshield before driving. Do not use a wiper to clean it directly. Because when the wiper drives debris, it will damage the rubber and scratch the glass too.
2. Raise the wiper when washing the car to clean the debris, especially splashing stones, which can easily damage the glass. Try to choose an underground garage or a shady place for parking. The burning of the sun also has a great influence on the rubber components, which will cause deformation and aging.
3. Raise the wiper when the car is parked for a long time. Even if it is not rainy, spray water and scrape. Otherwise, it is like the collodion mop used at home. Without water, the colloid will harden and cause dryness.
4. Changing temperature, sand, gravel, dust and other factors will shorten the life of the wiper blade. Frequent cleaning of the dirt on the windshield and wiper blade, especially after rain, can reduce unnecessary wear of the wiper and extend its life.
5. When the wiper doesn’t work, try the following methods to see if it can return to normal: first separate the wiper blade from the windshield glass, soak it in water and then use water sandpaper to rub it for 4 or 5 times. And finally rinse it with clean water and put it back into the windshield. The principle of this method is mainly to use water sandpaper to smooth the small deformation of the wiper blade caused by dust and temperature changes.
6. Some brands of wiper blades are designed to replace the rubber strips separately, but now most of the wiper rods and rubber strips are designed as one piece. So it is recommended to replace them together.
The wiper, though inconspicuous, is one of the most important configurations of the car. It is necessary to ensure a clean vision in rainy and snowy weather and remember to clean your windshield regularly.